No one wants a plumbing emergency, but they do happen. When they do, it’s important to have some basic knowledge of how to handle the situation. By following these 8 plumbing tips, you can help minimize the damage and get things back to normal as quickly as possible. Plus, you might even be able to fix the problem yourself! So whether you’re a homeowner or a renter, make sure you read through these tips before approaching plumbing services 24 hours in Greenville, SC.
- Know where your main water shut-off valve is and how to use it: In the event of a major leak, you’ll want to be able to shut off the water to your home as quickly as possible. Locate your main water shut-off valve and make sure you know how to operate it. In most cases, it’s simply a matter of turning a knob or lever.
- Don’t use chemical drain cleaners: A lot of people think that drain cleaner are the answer to all their clogged sink woes. However, these harsh chemicals can do more harm than good. They can eat away at your pipes, causing even more problems down the line. So instead of reaching for the Drain-O, try some of the natural drain unclogging methods first.
- Don’t pour grease down the drain: Grease is one of the leading causes of clogged drains. When it cools and hardens, it can cling to your pipes and cause all sorts of problems. So instead of pouring it down the drain, dispose of it in the trash.
- Know what not to flush: Toilets are only meant for human waste and toilet paper. Flushing anything else (including so-called “flushable” wipes) can clog your toilet and cause serious plumbing problems.
- Be careful with your garbage disposal: A garbage disposal is a handy tool, but it’s not indestructible. Avoid putting hard-to-grind items like chicken bones or coffee grounds down the disposal. And be sure to run plenty of water while it’s in use to keep things moving smoothly.
- Inspect your hoses: Every spring, take a look at the hoses connected to your washing machine and dishwasher. If they’re starting to show signs of wear (cracks, leaks, etc.), replace them before they cause any serious damage.
- Don’t ignore strange noises: If you start hearing unusual noises coming from your water heater, there’s a good chance something is wrong. Ignoring the problem will only make it worse, so be sure to call a 24-hour plumber at the first sign of trouble.
- Know when to call a professional: Some plumbing problems are simply too much for the average person to handle. If you’re dealing with a major leak, sewage backup, or any other serious issue, it’s best to leave the repairs to a professional plumber.
By following these tips, you can help keep your plumbing in good shape and avoid costly repairs. But remember, if you do have a problem that’s beyond your scope of knowledge, don’t hesitate to call a 24-hour plumber for help.
At Ace Plumbing, Electric, Heating & Air Conditioning, we’re here to help with all your plumbing needs – big or small. We have been serving the Greenville, SC area for several years, so you can rest assured we know our stuff. Give us a call today at (864) 210-5814 to schedule a service appointment. We’re here to help!